We now spend more time on our couch and in front of our monitors than outdoors due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Yes, we do need to play our part by staying home to help flatten the curve.
As more activities such as work and social are moved online, our lifestyle changes and so do our day to day grooming habits. Some people might think moving everything online is perfect. You do not have to change out of your pyjamas, spray on your favourite perfume and put on that fancy shoes. However, looking great will make you feel good. Since more and more people are taking screenshots of online meetings conducted through platforms such as Zoom, Google Hangout or Skype Meetings, you should put some effort to glam up a little for that professional look.
Here are a few tips to help you be camera ready.
If you have only 2 minutes to jump into your call…
Apply a good lipstick. Chuck those nude lipsticks and choose brighter coloured lipsticks. Most of us may not own LED lights to help brighten our face on camera. With less than optimal lighting, a brighter lip colour will help you look fresh and alert for your calls. It can also help you shave off a few years of age. Here are some colours that we recommend.
[L-R] DIOR Addict Stellar Halo Shine C536. SHU UEMURA Rouge Unlimited Lipstick CR356. Image credit: Sephora
If you have 10 minutes before your call begins…
Define your brows after applying lip colour. Eyebrow is one of the key steps in makeup as it enhances your look and shapes your facial features. Defining your eyebrows before your call will make you look groomed. This is especially important if you are having a work call. You will want to look sleek and ready for your discussion ahead.
If you have 15 minutes before your call begins…
Apply some concealer on too. Depending on how your camera is positioned and the lighting in your room, the image shown on screen may emphasise your eye bags or sun spots. It will be good to apply some concealer on your under eye area and check on your camera before the video call commences.
Image Credit: Issue.ink
To end off, we would also like to share some grooming taboos and tips for video calls.
- No to wet hair! You do not want to look like a mess and have just ran out from a shower. Keep your dry hair neat and tidy for your calls.
- If you are in a rush and do not have time to think about clothes to wear, just add on a jacket on top of your tee (not pyjamas, please). It will make you look professional.
- Adjust your camera before you start your calls. Ensure the camera is at your eye level so that your features can be seen nicely on screen. Do not align your camera below your eye level. This will distort your face and is definitely not flattering for you. It will also make your double chin (if any) look more pronounced.
- Remove your makeup thoroughly. It does not matter if you just have your lipstick on or eyebrow drawn. Proper cleansing using makeup remover and cleanser are required on a daily basis. This will prevent you from having dry chapped lips and blemishes on your face.
That’s all we have for now.
Stay Home. Stay Safe.
Products Featured & Where To Buy?
- Sephora Outlets – https://www.sephora.com.sg
Other relevant articles:
Check out our article on Safety & Hygiene in Makeup: Preventing Bacterial and Viral Infections
Stay connected with us on Instagram